Dr Rhiannon Buck (PhD) is a health psychologist currently working in the University of Bath. Much of her research has centred around symptom perception and illness behaviour, particularly in relation to common health problems, which are a major cause of disability and incapacity in the UK and worldwide. Her research interests include the beliefs that people hold about pain and other symptoms, fear and catastrophic thinking, attentional processes, adjustment to illness, and the cognitive aspects of sadness and depression. She has also worked on the Well-being in Work (WiW) project based in Merthyr Tydfil in collaboration with the University of Wales Swansea and Keele University.
In the first of a series of six talks on pain, chronicity and disability, Rhiannon introduces the biopsychosocial approach to managing pain. She explains ‘pain’ in terms of what it means to the patient as well as to society and concludes by explaining the advantages of why a patient in pain needs to be managed within the biopsychosocial instead of an illness model.
- Taxonomy., I.Associatio, Bogduk, N., Merskey, H., 1994. Classification of chronic pain : descriptions of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms, 2ndnd ed. IASP Press, Seattle.
- Fillingim, R.B., King, C.D., Ribeiro-Dasilva, M.C., Rahim-Williams, B., Riley, J.L.3rd, 2009. Sex, gender, and pain: a review of recent clinical and experimental findings.. J Pain, J Pain 10, 447-85.
- Liem, E.B., Joiner, T.V., Tsueda, K., Sessler, D.I., 2005. Increased sensitivity to thermal pain and reduced subcutaneous lidocaine efficacy in redheads.. Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology 102, 509-14.
- Liem, E.B., Lin, C.M., Suleman, M.I., Doufas, A.G., Gregg, R.G., Veauthier, J.M., Loyd, G., Sessler, D.I., 2004. Anesthetic requirement is increased in redheads.. Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology 101, 279-83.
- Loeser, J.D., Melzack, R., 1999. Pain: an overview.. Lancet, Lancet 353, 1607-9.
- Spurgeon, A., 2002. Models of unexplained symptoms associated with occupational and environmental exposures..
- Environ Health Perspect, Environ Health Perspect 110 Suppl 4, 601-5.
- Waddell, G., Burton, A.K., 2006. Is work good for your health and well-being?. TSO, London.
- Zatzick, D.F., Dimsdale, J.E., 1990. Cultural variations in response to painful stimuli.. Psychosom Med, Psychosom Med 52, 544-57.