By the end of this episode you will be able to:
- Discuss the basic assumptions of acceptance and commitment therapy.
- Identify how the approach can be used with patients who have pain.
This episode gives a brief overview of the concepts of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which is an approach gaining in popularity for professionals working with chronic pain patients. Sometimes referred to as the third wave of CBT it brings together work on mindfulness and behaviour therapy.
- Hayes, S., Smith, S., 2005. Get out of your mind and into your life: The new acceptance and commitment therapy. New
- Harbinger Publications, New York.
- Hayes, S., Strosahl, K.D., Wilson, K.G., 2004. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An experiential approach to behaviour change. Guilford Press, London.
- McCracken, L., 2005. Contextual Cognitive-behavioral Therapy for Chronic pain. IASP Press, Seattle.